Essential Grant Skills
Learn core grant skills in only 2 days!
It's fast-paced! Focus on the areas that are most crucial, challenging—and rewarding! Plus, get a thorough overview of the entire grant proposal development process.
- Don't have 5 days to dedicate to professional development? This training covers all the bases in a compact, powerful, cost-effective format, emphasizing the areas that give even seasoned proposal writers the most difficulty.
- New to the field? This training gives you a comprehensive, concentrated introduction to the field, sets you on the right track, and helps you steer clear of the most common grant proposal pitfalls.
- Experienced and looking for a professional development tune-up? This training refreshes and updates skills while sharpening your competitive edge.
"I've never attended a training as worthwhile as your Essential Grant Skills workshop. I have 40 years experience in this field with 20 years as a trainer myself!"
Judith Leith, Trainer
Delaware Department of Agriculture
Delaware Department of Agriculture
Why this learning lasts
Essential Grant Skills training uses The Grantsmanship Center’s Listen & Discuss, Do & Review® curriculum, combining presentations, discussion, and practical, hands-on exercises. You immediately put new knowledge into practice, build powerful skills, and retain what you learn. It's active learning that puts theory right into practice.
In this 2-day training you learn to:
- Identify the key grantsmanship practices for developing effective programs and successful proposals
- Understand the types of information that are a "must" for every proposal
- Recognize the four most crucial elements of a proposal and how they fit together
- Identify and document the situation your organization wants to change
- Spell out the specific, measurable outcomes you plan to achieve
- Show that your organization can deliver what it promises
- Build a basic, doable evaluation plan (and know when to call in an expert)
- Create a bullet-proof budget
- Plan ways to make your program sustainable—even before it gets off the ground
- Put it all together in a logic model
- Understand the grant proposal review process
- Find—and work with—the funders that are right for you
You return to your organization with a work product in hand—a logic model that lays out your case for funding and an outline to guide you in developing a complete proposal.
You’re not alone when the training is over
As a graduate of Essential Grant Skills, you receive six months of Associate Membership in The Grantsmanship Center’s Membership Program at no additional cost. This helps you…
- Find funders. You have access to GrantDomain, our user-friendly, continuously updated database of foundation, corporate, and federal grantmakers. GrantDomain helps you target appropriate funders, while saving you aggravation, time, and money.
- Continue to upgrade your skills. Take advantage of tuition discounts on other training programs, publications, consulting services, and more.
- Find the answers you need. Ask The Center! Need help untangling application guidelines or handling tricky situations? We're here to help our alumni find answers.
How to attend
Tuition for the 2-day Essential Grant Skills training is $445. This includes training materials and follow-up support.
Choose the training you want and register online. Or call The Grantsmanship Center’s registrar: (800) 421-9512 or (213) 482-9860, we'll be glad to help.
Details and logistics
- Once we receive payment (or a purchase order), we confirm your enrollment by email, giving you directions to the training location as well as parking info.
- Dress for comfort.
- The training begins at 8:30 am and ends by 4:30 pm both days.
- Morning and afternoon refreshments are provided. You're on your own for lunch – find a tasty spot from the list supplied by the local host.
- You receive a complete manual of training materials when you arrive at the training.
Bring this Workshop to Your Community
Train staff at no cost while helping nonprofits in your community build capacity by hosting this training! Learn more: Dawn@tgci.com or Gail@tgci.com, give us a call at (800) 421-9512 or (213) 482-9860, or visit the Partner With Us page.